So worried about feedings…

Happy Little ManKamden is loving veggies, so far. We’ve only given him green beans and peas, but he gobbles them up like he’s been eating them since birth. My pediatrician told us not to give him any fruits until he’s 9 months old, so I’m trying to be creative. I’m giving him some store bought baby food, I’m also making him other goodies that you can’t find in stores to make sure he gets a variety. I took Kam to see the Easter Bunny this weekend at the Mall, and we didn’t have the best experience. The Bunny himself was great, but the woman assisting him, trying to get Kam to smile wasn’t so nice. She kept talking about how “fat” Kam is, she just wouldn’t let it go. I already wonder if my “little man” is too round, and hearing others say how chubby he is makes me more self conscious. According to our doctor, Kam is a perfectly healthy little boy. He’s not too big, or too small. He’s wearing mostly age-appropriate clothes, but as we moms know, not all brands fit the same! I don’t know why I feel like I have to defend him! He’s eating great, and sleeping great and he’s even starting to “scoot” around acting like he’s going to crawl. I know he’s got chubby little cheeks, I love to kiss them all the time! The obvious doesn’t need to be pointed out to me. Does or did anyone else feel this way about their babies? On the eating front, I’m only doing rice cereal in the morning and veggies at night. Once he reaches 7 months I’m going to add a veggie serving to his lunch. Should I be feeding him the same amount of formula? I don’t want to overfeed him. He still eats about 6 ounces every 3 or 4 hours. Is that normal and am I doing this right? I feel like I’m super paranoid and not getting much direction on how much he should be eating and when.

Kam has started babbling and loves toys that light up and talk or sing. Mom, and I think Dad too, are sick of hearing the same songs-and-dances over and over again, but we keep playing them because he loves them! I think he’s going to say “I love you” soon! He hears it enough! All the “experts” say repetition is key.

This post was written by knilsson on April 3, 2012

1. Sandy Berg April 3, 2012 9:06 pm

Hi Katie: I never have had any children, but am a Registered Nurse, (Retired, and loving it), and I think little Kam looks great! He certainly doesn’t appear to be too chubby to me, and I don’t understand why people can be so RUDE! I think that is absolutely horrible! If your pediatrician says he is a healthy little guy, that is what matters! You are doing a “great” job of being a first time mommy, and thanks for keeping us updated on Kamden! I have to say I watch you, the two Eric’s, and Derick everynight on WREX! To me that is the best news channel ever, and I enjoy you so much!
    Take care, and quit worrying about Kamden being fat, he is a healthy little guy!
    Sandy

2. Katie Nilsson April 3, 2012 10:56 pm

Thanks Sandy!

3. Kathy Dougherty April 4, 2012 6:51 am

People can be so rude! He looks absolutely perfect.
    Also remember he is just starting to learn to crawl . He is
    going to be moving much faster very soon. Once they
    master crawling, walking and running follow in no time.
    They tend to naturally slimdown with the extra movement. You have a handsome and healthy baby!
    What a cutey! Relax and enjoy your precious little guy!

Take care, Kathy

P.S. Wait about 7-10 days in between introducing new foods. That
    way if he develops a food allergy, you can pinpoint which food is likely the cause.

4. Sue April 6, 2012 5:56 pm

I agree with Kathy. Once he figures out the crawl, the walk and more he will slim down. Our now 28yr old son did.
    And once he can be switched to 2% milk there won’t be as many calories. And as you introduce more solids he may be full enough from those he will naturally cut back on the formula.
    Enjoy him! You are doing fine.

5. Nikki April 11, 2012 11:57 pm

my daughter was born weighing 9 pounds 11 oz and her doctor tried to put her on a diet at birth. we changed doctors and the new doctor said to not worry and she would even out and now she is a good weight for her age. don’t listen to anyone else about your baby!

6. Ann April 24, 2012 3:50 pm

I too have had heavier babies. My daughter was in the 90+ percentile for height and weight and had chubby thighs that were just adorable. Her cheeks were just as chubby too! She ate all the time and being a first time mother, I was worried as well. However, once she started walking, she slimmed down quickly. She was 25 pounds at her 1 year check up and is only 30 at 2 1/2 years old. My son isn’t quite as chubby, but he has some cute little thighs and cheeks! Don’t let other people’s rudeness get to you! Kam is adorable and looks very healthy!!!!
    Also, if you want recipes for food for him try http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com It is a wonderful resource for making food and treats. I made all of my daughter’s food and now my son’s and got all my original recipes off of there.

7. Michael Kors Kingsbury Bags July 20, 2012 7:47 am

It goes without saying that the perfect http://www.mkoutlet.us needs the