EXCLUSIVE SEVERE WEATHER INFO

12:25am – NWS Chicago going to keep the watch going for a little while. Will likely let Lee, Ogle, and Winnebago go out of it at 1am. NWS: “I think that we’re going to wait to reassess at 1am since there has still been development in western Lee County.”

I don’t believe there will be anymore severe tonight. It’s been a while since we’ve had any warnings tonight. We’ll end our severe weather alert right here for the night. Thanks so much for stopping by. Feel free to leave any comments about the storms here or E-Mail us. Take care! -ERIC

12:14am – Storms still affecting DeKalb Co. Storms will move east out of the viewing area shortly.

12:07am – NWS Chicago: “It is pretty typical that with these wind events that we don’t receive many reports until later. People will probably wake up in the morning and find trees down and call the police…then we’ll make the report official.”

11:59pm – All warnings have been allowed to expire. There could still be some high winds from Rochelle and DeKalb, southward, but the majority of our viewing area is now in the clear.

11:57pm – 238 S. Walnut in Stillman Valley. Sheriff reports tree fell onto a house. ComEd and fire crews on the scene. No additional information. NWS Chicago: “We just talked to the ogle county sheriff and it sounds like it fell during calm winds after the storms went through and that the tree was fairly old and water logged.”

11:51pm – The only storm of consequence is going down I-90 toward the Marengo cashboxes. Storm bears some watching in DeKalb right now. Tornado Watches will remain for a little while for Winnebago, SEward. NWS says “contemplating eliminating the watch, but not yet.”

11:43pm – Walworth Co. has been eliminated…from the watch, it hasn’t been eliminated from the maps. :)

11:40pm- At 10:52 Trees and powerlines were reported down throughout the entire town of Sterling.

11:34pm – As expected, Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Northern DeKalb and Southern Boone County. If you are south of Belvidere, in Kirkland, Kingston, or Genoa, prepare for straight line winds in excess of 65mph.

11:25pm – Straight line winds will continue to move east-northeast and will affect northern DeKalb Co. NWS Chicago contemplating warning for Northern DeKalb Co. The initial gust may produce 65mph+ winds.

11:20pm – ALL CLEAR FOR THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES: Green, Rock, Stephenson, Jo Daviess, Carroll, and Whiteside. Tornado Watch has been canceled.

11:15pm – Dangerous winds nearing Rochelle and Hillcrest. Chicago NWS doppler is indicating 65mph+ winds at the onset of the storm. Seek shelter if you are in these areas.

10:52 – I still see some pretty decent rotation in the storm over Dixon and Grand Detour. Wouldn’t be surprised if there are a few funnels in this area. Seek shelter, both areas are under severe storm warnings.

10:50 – Storm Warnings in effect for Walworth, Lee, Ogle, and Whiteside Co. right now.

10:47 – Trees down in the town of Elkhorn, WI.

10:38pm – Town of Sharon in Walworth Co. without power. Trees/powerlines downed, reports Emergency Mgr.

10:36pm – Mount Morris [Ogle Co, IL] fire dept/rescue storm gust of 60mph at 10:25 PM CDT — tree limbs down.

10:35pm – NWS Chicago with respect to possible DeKalb Co. warning “Looks like the storm is weakening a bit even though it looks as though there is a weak rotation. I think that we’re going to hold off for now unless it starts to spike up again. Just received some tree damage reports in Ogle, they’ll be coming out soon.”

10:33pm – New Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Walworth Co. until 11:15pm.

10:28pm – I have highlighted the areas that are most at threat from straight-line winds. Winds in excess of 60mph will be possible at the onset of these storms. Seek shelter if you are in Rochelle and Creston. This storm will be on your doorstep at 10:35.

10:20pm – Wind damage possible in Kingston, Monroe Center, Kirkland, Belvidere, Garden Prairie, and Genoa within the next 15 minutes. Funnel cloud reported by law enforcement near Rock Falls at 1010pm. Seek shelter in S-RF and remain alert in Dixon.

10:04pm – Storms moving into the Rockford metro. Strongest storms will pass just SE. Storm developing just E of Beloit bears watching. No warning just yet. In addition, new watch will be issued for areas E of I-39 shortly.

9:45pm – Storm Warnings in effect for Lee and Ogle until 10:45. Possible wind damage will occur in Oregon, Byron, and Stillman Valley before 10:10pm. Get indoors, away from windows as these storms have a history of producing damage.

9:30pm – Estimated 65mph winds near Davenport. Storm with strong wind will be near Coleta at 9:48pm. Storm Warning may be needed for Carroll County shortly.

9:25pm – Storm with a possible 50-70mph wind gust moving up I-88. Will be near Sterling within the next 15 minutes.

9:17pm – KWQC-TV has received unconfirmed reports of a tornado touchdown on the west side of Davenport within the past 25 minutes.

9:14pm – Severe Thunderstorm Warning until 10:00pm for Whiteside Co.

9:06pm – Storms firing along the dryline. A few severe storms will be possible within the next 1-2 hours over Northern Illinois. Tornado Watch remains in effect.

8:51pm – I just put a stormtrack on the storm over the QC. Should it stay together, it will be near Oregon at 10pm and Rockford at 10:20pm. New Storm Warning for Rock Island Co. until 930.

8:46pm – The storm over the QC has now gone severe…track takes it into Whiteside Co by 9:10.

8:41pm – Nice sunset on the skycams. (My attempt at a little humor).

8:34pm – Storm Warning may be issued for Whiteside
Co. within the hour.

8:22pm – Rotating thunderstorm WSW of Davenport right now tracking northeast. The arrow represents where the storm will be in one hour…which puts it in Whiteside Co.

8:04pm – Storms trying to develop, but are unable to sustain updrafts large enough to keep them going. Threat still exists…for a few more hours.

7:42pm – New storms forming in Eastern Iowa right now…may form a line from near Madison to Freeport to Moline by 9pm (as my 7pm update indicated).

7:16pm – Pretty decent little storm over NW Stephenson Co. No hail with it, but some gusty winds can be expected north of Orangeville in the next 30 minutes. Some rotation may occur within the next 1/2 hour.

7:00pm – Here’s a look at a high-res WRF computer model. The image on the left is the conditions at 7pm…right now. The image on the right is what the radars may look like at 11pm. While the threat of severe only exists for Jo Daviess, NW Stephenson, Green, and Rock for the next few hours, things may get fired up again by 9pm. -ERIC

6:54pm – Got off of the phone with Jo Daviess Co. sheriff. No reports of severe weather with the storms.

6:47pm – Quad Cities NWS: “Just checked with spc and they are concerned about redevelopment along primary cold front moving through nw ia. So we may be in a lull now but will have to watch for redevelopment over our area later this evening.”

6:41pm – 5 S Monticello [Green Co, WI] amateur radio reports funnel cloud at 06:10 PM CDT — brief funnel rotation.

6:40pm – I wanted to post a little analysis on the current radar. (Click to enlarge) Visible satellite and radar confirms a lull in the action southwest of the current activity. As I see it right now, our severe weather threat is diminishing for Whiteside and Carroll County. However, our atmosphere out ahead of the dryline is still very unstable. Threat not over entirely, but this is definitely a good trend to see! -ERIC

6:32pm – 1 S New Glarus [Green Co, WI] trained spotter reports funnel cloud at 06:20 PM CDT — a brief funnel cloud was observed 1.5 miles south of new glarus at the intersection of county roads n and nn.

6:31pm – After closely inspecting the storm over Stockton, there appears to be some rotation…could be some funnel clouds in that area…up to Waddam’s Grove by 6:40.

6:30pm – Warning for Green County expires at 6:30. Storms seem to be firing up a bit and will be affecting Monroe, Orangeville, Lena, Stockton, Loran, and Savanna through 7:30pm.

6:18pm – Developing storm moving into Jo Daviess County from Jackson Co., IA. May be gaining strength. Areas around Elizabeth, IL should be on the lookout for a severe storm within the next 30 minutes.

6:15pm – NWS Quad Cities monitoring storm over northeastern Jo Daviess Co. Will not be issuing a warning.

5:55pm – Tornado Warning for Green County, WI until 6:30.

5:32pm – S White Lake (Langlade Co., WI) Trained spotter reports tornado at 4:53pm. Quarter mile swath of damage over vacation area. Many commercial buildings destroyed. Kayak driven through tree. Time approx.

5:26pm – Storm with possible rotation on the other side of the Mississippi River. May reach Jo Daviess County by 5:50pm. There was some weak rotation when the storm passed Cedar Rapids, but rotation is not evident at this time.

This post was written by qni_it on June 7, 2007

1. Anonymous June 8, 2007 12:31 AM

Eric, Adam, Candice: I really wanted to say how much I appreciate your extra work to keep the public informed.

I think this event demonstrates just how difficult weather forecasting can be.

I appreciate your work at keeping the public informed about the latest predictions, discussion, and observations.

To see how difficult this all is to predict is every bit as fascinating as watching a big thunder and lightning show.

2. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 12:45 AM

Thank you VERY much! My goal is to have NO ONE worried about storms. When storms are forecast or are bearing down, we want to be there with the 4-1-1. That’s all.

Hopefully these storms will behave nicely this evening! -ERIC

3. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 12:45 AM

Hopefully these storms will behave nicely this evening! -ERIC

4. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 12:45 AM

Hopefully these storms will behave nicely this evening! -ERIC

5. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 12:45 AM

Hopefully these storms will behave nicely this evening! -ERIC

6. Carrie June 8, 2007 1:16 AM

I couldn’t have said it any better myself anonymous…In fact..I offered feedback to the Premium Weather Service today to tell them just how much I rely on the service and Eric, Candice & Adam for the weather everyday.

It is obvious to me that this is much more than a job for the 3 of you..you really care about your audience and that is evident with every broadcast that you do.

I would like to send a heartfelt thank you to Eric, Candice & Adam as well because I am another viewer who appreciates your hard work too!

7. Anonymous June 8, 2007 1:27 AM

PLEASE TELL ME !!!! When I can come up from my basement??? This is just like the gigantic snow storms. You just want people to tune in. All this does is give people a lack of trust in you.

8. Shannon June 8, 2007 1:27 AM

May I ask something? Are the storms suppossed to be bad near sterling, illinois? Because, I live there and i am TERRIFIED of storms. =( Please, if you have any information… tell me.

<3me

9. Anonymous June 8, 2007 1:28 AM

Man…..A foot of snow predicted in the winter and the TV crews at the salt pile. We get a dusting.
    Major storms predicted and the same crews are covering Comed in case the power goes out.
    No storms. (yet at 8:25)
    I don’t mind reporting on the basics of the weather, by the weather department.But, the over reporting of the news department just screams of a slow news day.

10. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 1:29 AM

I never told anyone to get in their basements. ;) When there’s a high risk of severe, we’re here tracking storms…whether they’re affecting your house or not.

As far as Sterling, we’ll continue watching the storm near the QC. -ERIC

11. Jerry Burmeister June 8, 2007 1:29 AM

Eric,Candy, Adam
    I just have to tell you
    SUPER JOB on keeping everyone informed both here and on T V

12. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 1:29 AM

As far as Sterling, we’ll continue watching the storm near the QC. -ERIC

13. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 1:29 AM

As far as Sterling, we’ll continue watching the storm near the QC. -ERIC

14. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 1:29 AM

As far as Sterling, we’ll continue watching the storm near the QC. -ERIC

15. Justin June 8, 2007 1:31 AM

Blame the NWS. They’re terrible. Issuing the highest risk for severe weather, and then the tornado watch. They need to know better than that. Along with issuing warnings because of reports by untrained spotters. So does that mean next time it storms me and my friends can call up and claim there was a tornado? They need to get it together…

16. Anonymous June 8, 2007 1:33 AM

I really wish it would storm. I hate getting all excited and then let down. It isn’t your fault, it is mother nature!

17. Shannon June 8, 2007 1:34 AM

Thank you for the input Eric. =) I know the weather channel says we have a tornado watch is in effect for sterling. but isn’t a watch just weather conditions? hmm… im still kinda creeped out. But- then again, doesn’t the weather channel change the forecast every 5 minutes. Ha. I trust you, much more! =)

18. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 1:37 AM

Thanks Shannon! -ERIC

19. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 1:37 AM

Thanks Shannon! -ERIC

20. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 1:37 AM

Thanks Shannon! -ERIC

21. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 1:37 AM

Thanks Shannon! -ERIC

22. wi weather buff June 8, 2007 1:39 AM

I have some opinions on the balance of warning vs scaring people.

Maybe a good topic for some other day when the weather is calm and so are the people who are offering their opinions.

23. shannon June 8, 2007 1:40 AM

Awe; that’s okay- I was nervous when I heard the word severe! =( But, your welcome! And… okay; tell me if anything is bad, please

24. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 1:42 AM

We are linked via chat with the NWS offices…the only local station that’s logged on. Storm over them is rotating…waiting to see if they will be issuing warnings for it. -ERIC

25. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 1:42 AM

26. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 1:42 AM

27. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 1:42 AM

28. Anonymous June 8, 2007 1:43 AM

So, if it doesn’t storm or rain does that mean the warm weather is going to continue to tomorrow? Doesn’t the cold front behind the storm usually cool us off? I sure hope the temp isn’t going to be tomorrow like it was today. :)

29. shannon June 8, 2007 1:44 AM

Oh gosh, I have chills now. Well, if I don’t live till tomorrow- I’d just like to say, “Eric, you do well at what you do!”

30. Anonymous June 8, 2007 1:44 AM

As Eric said no one told anyone to go to the basement. Maybe if you have a nice lil area in your basement where you can watch tv and stuff but i’m not going to sit in the basement all night waiting for a storm that may not happen in my opinion. When the radio or tv tell me to go then i will go. I think the weather team does a great job and you have to realize weather can change every 5 mins. So who knows maybe in 5 mins a huge storm could be coming out way. I think people need to chill out and stop getting all hyped up! The weather team does the best that they can and they take the info that the NWS gives them to post, so its not anyones fault. If you want to blame someone blame the weather!:)

31. Anonymous June 8, 2007 1:47 AM

Thanks for keeping the stateline area “in touch” with mother nature… I’ve been checking the blog for storm updates all evening and love it! I’m sorry I have waited this long to check it out… Thanks again! :)

32. Ally June 8, 2007 1:47 AM

Yes it is a nice lil sunset lol:)

33. Anonymous June 8, 2007 1:50 AM

Swan Hills neighborhood are in their bomb shelters, waiting further instructions from Commander Eric.

34. wi weather buff June 8, 2007 1:50 AM

to “anonymous” who wants to know if they can come up from the basement yet:

You need to look up the difference between “watch” and “warning.”

There’s a big difference.

You need to take immediate shelter (like: go to the basement) when there is a WARNING for YOUR SPECIFIC LOCATION right at that moment.

There aren’t any current warnings in the WREX viewing area right now. So if you’re sitting in your basement, its your choice. Knock yourself out.

“Watches” can go on for hours and hours and hours, and very often nothing at all severe will hit any given point (e.g., where you are) in the “watch” area. They do not mean you have to go to the basement. They just mean that you should be “watchful” – keep your eyes on the sky, your NOAA weather radio turned on, and (if you enjoy such things) check out the doppler radar on the Weather Underground site every once in a while, or stay tuned to a local radio or TV station.

35. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 1:52 AM

wi weather buff: keep these comedians on the right track. I have a 9pm news to tend to now. Doppler starting to light up a little bit…just as the models indicated.

One more thing: For days I have said that the Rockford area would be impacted by storms later than it is right now. -ERIC :)

36. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 1:52 AM

37. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 1:52 AM

38. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 1:52 AM

39. Anonymous June 8, 2007 2:00 AM

Wi weather buff…get a life. Understand a little kidding. If you think we are seriously busting b$)*s over this, your seriously deranged.

40. Justin June 8, 2007 2:02 AM

I think a few comments need to be deleted before this gets way off topic…

41. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 2:04 AM

No, I still find it humorous. Storms heating up now, so the fun and games is probably winding down. -ERIC

42. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 2:04 AM

43. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 2:04 AM

44. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 2:04 AM

45. Ally June 8, 2007 2:07 AM

Just watched a lil bit of the news at 9 just waiting for the weather to come on..So with it coming to rockford maybe by 10:14 and us living in Winnebago will it hit us at all? I’m sure it will but i know we go to bed at 10 and i would hate to go to sleep and be woken up lol. I always seem to wake right up when bad weather comes through if its right when i get to sleep, if its in the middle of the night or early morning like the july 2003 storms i would be totally clueless when i woke up.

46. Justin June 8, 2007 2:19 AM

Oh. I guess most of it was right. Storms are firing up, just not in a squall.

47. Anonymous June 8, 2007 2:22 AM

I’m from Dekalb, are any storms heading this way, or mainly staying north of here? Thanks for all the info, you guys are the best around!

48. Anonymous June 8, 2007 2:24 AM

You guys are the greatest… Thanks for keeping us so up to date. I’ve been watching the radar too, and it looks like it could be getting active, just when I thought we were out of the woods. You knew better! Thanks!
    Dick S.

49. Anonymous June 8, 2007 2:25 AM

will any of these storms hit carbondale??? Or Memphis TN?

50. carrie June 8, 2007 2:26 AM

Eric-I have been watching that cell near Davenport – thought it looked bad…any more info you could provide about it would be much appreciated…Thank you!

51. Justin June 8, 2007 2:36 AM

Eric please tell me if this storm will hit anywhere in michigan specifically kalamazoo dont you know by now?

=P

52. Anonymous June 8, 2007 2:42 AM

Any chance of this knocking out directv in Muncie IN ?

53. carrie June 8, 2007 2:43 AM

Got some thunder here in Dixon..waiting for further details..

54. carrie June 8, 2007 2:50 AM

There is the warning I was waiting for…Severe Thunderstorm will be in Dixon by 9:55pm…

55. Anonymous June 8, 2007 3:29 AM

Justin, mind your sheep during the storm.

56. Justin June 8, 2007 3:34 AM

That storm near forreston has had official reports of funnel clouds but no warnings issued?

57. Nancy June 8, 2007 3:58 AM

live in a mobile home in Freeport. Should I stay up all night to find out how this is going? We all went to the library earlier when the storm was supposed to hit- and it just quit when it got here. It’s still hot out.
    The squall line appears to be east of us, and we have had nothing but some distant lightning and a few sprinkles all day/evening. No wind anymore though- or not anything like earlier… Do you think it’s over for us here? Will it cool off at all tonight?

58. Anonymous June 8, 2007 4:11 AM

based on the radar it looks like the storms are just skimming me to the south. we have some rain and lightning, but nothing major. looks like loves park as missed this one.

59. Anonymous June 8, 2007 4:41 AM

wow, based on the radars now, it looks like rockford and loves park really escaped the damaging winds. i think we got lucky this time around. keep up the good work eric and candy and adam.

60. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 4:46 AM

Aww shucks. You should thank Laura Gibbs! She’s also here in the Weather Center, helping us keep track of the storms. She’s awesome too!!! -ERIC

61. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 4:46 AM

62. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 4:46 AM

63. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 4:46 AM

64. carrie June 8, 2007 4:50 AM

Well-Thank you Laura for helping our fine weather team tonight…I as a viewer really appreciate it! One last question..any chance that Lee county will be given the all clear any time soon?

65. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 4:52 AM

Carrie, just asked that in our IEMChat with the NWS. Answer shortly

66. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 4:52 AM

Carrie, just asked that in our IEMChat with the NWS. Answer shortly

67. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 4:52 AM

Carrie, just asked that in our IEMChat with the NWS. Answer shortly

68. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 4:52 AM

Carrie, just asked that in our IEMChat with the NWS. Answer shortly

69. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 4:53 AM

Carrie: Straight from the NWS “has been talked about, but not at the moment”

70. carrie June 8, 2007 4:53 AM

Thank you!

71. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 4:53 AM

Carrie: Straight from the NWS “has been talked about, but not at the moment”

72. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 4:53 AM

Carrie: Straight from the NWS “has been talked about, but not at the moment”

73. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 4:53 AM

Carrie: Straight from the NWS “has been talked about, but not at the moment”

74. carrie June 8, 2007 4:54 AM

ok..well hopefully they will soon…been pretty intense here in Dixon the last hour or so..sirens went off twice..thank you again!

75. Mark June 8, 2007 5:04 AM

Nothing much here in Harvard, a quick burst of heavy rain and a little thunder but looks like the worst of it went up into Walworth County and also more towards southern McHenry county.
    I recorded 0.25in of rain so not much.

76. Anonymous June 8, 2007 5:14 AM

thank you for all of your hard work! your weatherblog is extremely helpful and reassuring, and much easier to look for weather news rather than trying to decipher the NWS’ capitalized code. :) hope we can all get some rest pretty soon!

77. Anonymous June 8, 2007 5:19 AM

Eric, thanks so much for this blog! Really a heartfealt thank you! Better safe than sorry.

And out of ANYONE in the stateline, you, candice, and adam really do care the most!

THANK YOU!

78. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 5:26 AM

That’s what we’re here for! For 2/3 of our weather team, this is where we grew up (Adam’s the adopted one, but we’ll keep him since he’s from Minnesota and went to school in Iowa!) :)

I am glad we could give you the info via blog. In fact we had thousands of hits on Thursday! It really could be the future of weather, don’t you think?

We were able to cut-in to our programming when it mattered most, but then continue tracking it on here.

I hope to get a few more animated radars in the future so we can give a graphical representation a little clearer. Perhaps next time severe weather rolls through the area.

Eric Sorensen signing off for the night. Thanks again for trusting us with your weather. Candice will be here in the morning to recap and I will be here with a look back Friday at 5, 6, and 10.

79. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 5:26 AM

80. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 5:26 AM

81. Rockford's Weather Leader June 8, 2007 5:26 AM

82. jessica June 8, 2007 2:19 PM

I’m happy to say we only had rain and winds weren’t any worse than during the day. Reading the blog it looks to have gone southeast of us in Lena,IL. Jessica

83. Justin June 8, 2007 3:22 PM

For some reason my power went out sometime between 3:30 and 8:30… but I was asleep so I’m not sure what could’ve caused it. Everything was on and working at 3:30

84. Anonymous June 8, 2007 3:27 PM

I’m in Dekalb and stayed up until midnight. I don’t think it even rained.

85. Anonymous June 8, 2007 11:42 PM

Justin, the power went off cause your sheep ate through the electric wires. Check for some seared sheep.

86. MaryanneAYERS February 28, 2011 8:34 AM

I had got a desire to begin my business, nevertheless I didn’t earn enough of cash to do it. Thank goodness my colleague suggested to utilize the mortgage loans. Hence I used the car loan and made real my dream.

87. UGG Boots Clearance October 11, 2011 10:02 PM

“With the vn2011q12 TV media for our men’s shoes series do promotion activity, this is UGG Boots Clearance the

88. Mulberry Outlet December 12, 2011 12:03 AM

You should store them returning. Meets!!!I understand this is really uninteresting and you are therefore missing to another location thoughts, on the other hand just wanted in order to toss you a major cheers — anyone cleared up a few things in my opinion!