Big snow or big bust?

This next storm system is coming too close for comfort! Low pressure will stregthen over the Mid Mississippi River Valley tonight and tonight spreading a big swath of snow from St. Louis into Michigan. It looks as if we’ll remain on the northern fringes of this system, however ANY change in track WILL affect snowfall amounts. ExacTrack is plotting a 3+ inch snowfall for parts of DeKalb Co. with little/no accumulation from Galena up to Monroe. This is where it gets tricky. I will be putting Lee & DeKalb Co. in a 3-6 inch possibility just because of the proximity of this storm. 1-3 inches will be forecasted elsewhere with lighter amounts northwest of Rockford. Confidence is not very high so check back often as this forecast may change.

Snow should begin around 3pm Thursday and last until 6am Friday.

This post was written by qni_it on January 30, 2008

1. tony January 30, 2008 9:27 PM

Eric, will the evening computer models that come in give you a better idea as to if the storm will change track. I think it was a week ago monday when you were gone when all forecasts were for 3-6 inches of snow and we got nearly 9 inches. I wouldn’t be surprised if we do get more than is expected since we had the snowpack, then melted. I think the last time we had a huge snowpack, it melted then we got dumped again. I hope we get some decent amounts.

2. Eric Sorensen January 30, 2008 9:38 PM

Yes. I have put the Chicagoland in the 6-12 inch outlook. If this shifts only 50 miles further west our snow accumulation will double.

3. tony January 30, 2008 9:51 PM

I hope it does. We need another big snow. Come on storm, come back our way.

4. Ike January 30, 2008 10:07 PM

I think we all want a little bit of snow, what the heck, let’s get it to snow for us on Thursday afternoon and evening. We need some, I think we may be a little dry. I guess it seems like everyone wants some, let’s have some!

5. tony January 30, 2008 10:27 PM

Well, I think we will get some but it doesn’t sound like too much. I think eric told me on the phone he is going with 2-5 inches. I hope the storm tracks further west so we can get dumped on.

6. tyler January 30, 2008 10:38 PM

it was 73′ in st.louis,and it was in the MIDDLE TEENS by MIDNIGHT!!!

7. Eric Sorensen January 30, 2008 11:22 PM

2-5 inches of snow is much better than -25 degree wind chills (in my opinion)-ERIC

8. Daniel January 30, 2008 11:58 PM

I would prefer more snow. ;-P

9. Garrett January 31, 2008 12:47 AM

Got bad news for some of you wishing for a big snow. We can look at outlooks and models all we want but none of these items have the “Eric and Adam day off curse” included with them, and it looks like both will be working tomorrow. So if you want a big snow plead to one of them to take tomorrow off.

10. Eric Sorensen January 31, 2008 1:10 AM

Maybe Adam or I am planning a sick day? 😉

Just kidding! -ERIC

11. Ike January 31, 2008 1:10 AM

OK, Adam, take off?

12. chad January 31, 2008 1:41 AM

I AM BETTING ON A DUSTING TO HALF INCH IN BELVIDERE SEEING HOW LAST STORM WAS WAY OFF.

13. Adam Painter January 31, 2008 3:06 AM

(cough)… (sneeze)… Wanna get up early tomorrow morning Eric?

14. Garrett January 31, 2008 3:12 AM

Ha yeah depending on how much everyone wants a big snow what does everyone think of taking up a collection to pay Adam his salary for the day. I mean that would have to be somewhere in the range of what like 5 or 10 grand?

15. Eric Sorensen January 31, 2008 3:38 AM

Adam: Goto bed! LOL

16. tony January 31, 2008 3:54 AM

Have the new models come in yet and if so, has anything changed.

17. Candice H January 31, 2008 2:24 PM

Someone explain to my why you want snow? I hate snow! It’s cold and my little pick up truck slides everywhere. It could snow once a winter and I would be happy. It’s pretty at first, but gets old quick. So what makes you guys like it so much, I’m curious.
    🙂