Exclusive Storm Analysis

3:15pm – The National Weather Service in Romeoville has just issued a Snow Advisory for Winnebago, Boone, McHenry, DeKalb, Lee, and Ogle County.

2:15pm – No traffic problems have been reported thus far. Here is a glimpse of road conditions at the junction of I-39 and I-90 (left) and the State Street Bridge downtown (right). I will post live views in a few minutes so you can see how the snow affects the roadways between now and the evening rush.

2:00pm – Here is the 1:50pm doppler radar view. Light snow is falling within the light blue ring. Moderate snow is coming down around Peoria up to La Salle. The trajectory takes most of the precip to the northeast into Northeastern Illinois. Our snowfall forecast won’t change as of now. While Rockford will get a nuisance 2-3 inches, isolated 4-5 inch totals will be possible southeast of Rockford around Rochelle, DeKalb, Sycamore, and Genoa. -ERIC

10:30pm – Here’s the first edition of our exclusive Storm Analysis. When we’re about 24 hours away from a winter storm/severe weather event we will give you all of the information that you need and its impact on travel.

For this event, we’re looking at a very sharp cutoff. Areas that only receive a dusting of snow (Galena) will be less than 100 miles from some six inch accumulations (Joliet). For the Rockford metro, 2-5 inches seems reasonable with the heavier snow east and south. Accumulations should begin around 4pm Thursday and end by 6am Friday.

The morning commute won’t be impacted, but by the time we head home from work some slick conditions can be expected.

This post was written by qni_it on January 31, 2008

1. Ike January 31, 2008 10:42 AM

oh wow, thank you, your spoiling us way to much on all those cool graphics and your making me love this site more and more everyday!

2. tony January 31, 2008 12:38 PM

Sounds like this mornings forecast is still verifying with eric of 2-5inches. I think we are going to miss the brunt of this storm which is nothing unusual around here when it comes to major storms.

3. Justin January 31, 2008 2:20 PM

still enough to screw up the traveling

4. Candice H January 31, 2008 2:27 PM

I meant to post this comment here, not on the other post, sorry for putting it up twice.

Someone explain to my why you want snow? I hate snow! It’s cold and my little pick up truck slides everywhere. It could snow once a winter and I would be happy. It’s pretty at first, but gets old quick. So what makes you guys like it so much, I’m curious.
    🙂

5. Ike January 31, 2008 2:51 PM

For Candice, I love the snow you can get out snowboard. I just started to snowboard this year! Thanks to Zack and Josh and Dusty for showing me how to snowboard this year! Zack is my best friend! I owe the dude a lot! But what the heck, that is what brothers are for! BFF ( BEST Friends Forever)

6. Anthony January 31, 2008 5:09 PM

I DONT WANT THE SNOW BECAUSE I GATEHR CARTS FOR WAL-MART, AND THATS A PAIN IN A BUTT IF I HAVE TO DO THAT IN SNOW. BUT ANYWAYS, IS THAT TRUE DEKALB COULD HAVE 5-6 INCHES IN THIS WHOLE THING IS SET AND DONE?

7. Linda January 31, 2008 6:11 PM

Well, I am in Malta Il and it is really snowing here right now.

8. Princess_Magpie January 31, 2008 6:35 PM

It’s snowing pretty heavily over here in Johnsburg! It’s already sticking to cars and parking lots.

9. Adam Painter January 31, 2008 7:17 PM

The snow is still spotty in intensity across northern Illinois, but it will be picking up in awhile. The widespread heavy snow is currently sitting over central and southern Illinois.

This storm is still setting up to have a sharp cutoff. O’Hare and Midway are going to have major delays the rest of the day as Chicago and points to the south of us get hit the hardest.

Rochelle, Dekalb, Sycamore, Harvard, and Lake Geneva could all see as much as 5 or 6 inches of snow. On the other hand, towns like Galena, Freeport, Monroe, and Savanna merely see an inch or two.

10. Linda January 31, 2008 10:15 PM

Just wondering if the prediction for Tuesday is still the same or has it changed.

11. Eric Sorensen January 31, 2008 10:19 PM

Prediction for Tuesday is still up in the air. To be honest, I am doing more now-casting than I am looking at the extended. It still appears that a rain/snow combo is in the cards however. -ES