Need to Know

As of 4pm, we’ve got sleet coming down outside the WREX studios with minor accumulations on the streets. This is going to change over into all snow fairly quickly. There is another batch of snow out into eastern Iowa. This should move through the region around dinnertime. You can expect a quick inch or two of snowfall out of this band. Behind that the skies are clearing out rapidly in western Iowa. Look for the precipitation to end before 9pm.

What little snow we do pick up is going to be blown across area roadways because northwesterly winds are currently gusting up to 35 mph. They will likely strengthen further and stay strong overnight, with some gusts as high as 45 mph. With blowing snow, visibilities in some spots will drop below one mile. Drive carefully and courteously tonight.

The last bit of housekeeping is to mention that Jo Daviess, Stephenson, Carroll, and Whiteside County have been downgraded to a WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY as the Blizzard Warning criteria are not likely to be met. All other counties in the Stateline viewing area remain under a WINTER STORM WARNING through 9am Wednesday. The added length to the warning is for dangerous wind chills for tomorrow morning’s commute. -ADAM

This post was written by qni_it on January 29, 2008

1. bryce26 January 29, 2008 10:31 PM

Do you think that Belvidere and other viewing areas will have school tomorrow if we get the blowing snow?
    -Thanks-

2. Adam Painter January 29, 2008 11:18 PM

If school is cancelled tomorrow it will be because of extremely low wind chills, not because of blowing snow. Road conditions should not be too bad by sunrise on Wednesday.

3. turf January 30, 2008 12:06 AM

will there be any snow tonight?

4. tony January 30, 2008 12:09 AM

I hope there is a some snow to cover the ground again. From what I have seen with the radar on the weather channel, it looks like the batch that was in eastern Iowa has broken up unless it gains strength again heading this way. I just hope the storm for thursday into friday comes into central illinois so we can get the heavier band.

5. Adam Painter January 30, 2008 12:23 AM

Like I just mentioned during the 6:15 weather spot, the band of snow out in eastern Iowa has really fallen apart. We will probably still see a few flakes this evening, but it won’t amount to much. The majority of the area is probably staring at a half inch or less.

All along the main characteristics from this storm system were going to be the howling winds and drastic change in temperatures. That is still going to verify.

6. Candice H January 30, 2008 2:42 AM

I’m in DeKalb and I can’t believe the wind! I was sitting in my car and it felt like someone was rocking it really hard, but it was the wind. It’s also snowing pretty good right now. What do you think the wind gust for DeKalb are?

7. Belvidere January 30, 2008 2:50 AM

How much snow are we going to get Thursday Night into Friday???

8. Adam Painter January 30, 2008 3:14 AM

Wind Gust reports at 9pm:
    Rockford 46 mph
    Freeport 41 mph
    Sterling 44 mph
    DeKalb 47 mph
    Rochelle 54 mph
    Monroe, WI 36 mph

The wind will remain gusty all night long. Tomorrow morning will still be rather windy, but more in the 15-25 mph range. Tomorrow afternoon wind speeds will drop below 15 mph.

Holding off on snowfall totals for Thursday night’s storm until it gets more organized and closer to our region.

9. tony January 30, 2008 3:14 AM

I know. I was just outside and that wind is just unreal. Our power did flicker a bit but nothing major. We do have some very light snow here, but with that wind, it does somewhat look like a blizzard. And adam, I do remember you saying on the blog last night that there was very dry aloft and you were right. That did kill the snow totals. I hope we get some decent snow on thursday into friday.

10. Justin January 30, 2008 3:19 AM

So its probably for sure that there wont be any school cancellations im guessing… except maybe some rural schools.

11. tony January 30, 2008 3:26 AM

Looks like from the weather alert emails that I have been receiving we now have a wind chill warning and wind advisory now instead of the winter storm warning.

12. Justin January 30, 2008 3:36 AM

I think that could be the key to no school. 25-35 below zero wind chills

13. Jim January 30, 2008 3:39 AM

it is amazing that the actual air temperature has fallen 44 degrees in the past 10 hours.

14. tony January 30, 2008 3:43 AM

I agree. I just saw on wgn, tom skilling said our high was 48 and now at 9PM it is 4 above zero. that is incredible. I have heard of temp drops, but wow. I guess our district manager for walmart told people if they wanted to go home early today because of the temp drop, they could. But people like me who are greeters, we don’t have that luxury since there is no one else to cover us.

15. Justin January 30, 2008 3:48 AM

At least you’re not out pushing carts.

16. tony January 30, 2008 3:53 AM

Hehehe, very true. I feel bad for the ones that are pushing them tonight at our store on owen center road.