EXCLUSIVE: Cold in March? Tornadoes in April & May!

13News Meteorologist Justin Gehrts and I were researching something simple this afternoon and may have stumbled upon something substantial.
Question was: How many Marches have not yielded a 60 degree temperature in Rockford?
Answer is: 2008 (so far), 2001, 1996, 1984, 1980, 1975, 1970, 1965, and 1964.
We then decided to look back and see if any of these years were La Nina years. Sure enough, all but two were!

I listed all of the La Nina years below. The years that correspond with the absent 60s are in bold along with the corresponding severe weather event.

2007-2008 Poplar Grove, IL EF3 (January 7, 2008)
2000-2001 Siren, WI F4
1999-2000
1998-1999
1995-1996 Oakfield, WI F5
1983-1984 Barneveld, WI F5
1975-1976 Lemont, IL F4
1973-1974
1971-1972
1970-1971 Mississippi Delta Outbreak 1971 (119 fatalities)
1967-1968
1964-1965 Palm Sunday Outbreak 1965

In short: When the temperatures here are cold in March there is an enhanced threat of a severe weather outbreak in the Midwest.

Barb Mayes at the Davenport National Weather Service office worked on a study that showed that La Nina springs tend to bring a higher-than-normal chance of severe weather outbreaks for the Upper Midwest. Our findings may just indicate a coincidence, but it could be another indicator that an intense severe weather season is ahead of us.

This post was written by qni_it on March 28, 2008

1. Justin March 28, 2008 3:05 AM

I can’t wait for it. I hope that no property or lives are destroyed, but I just love the severe weather. Not many people understand where Im coming from when I try to explain that… but Im sure some of you do, right?

2. Wasabi Dog March 28, 2008 1:22 PM

So interesting. Is there any relation between La Nina years and flooding/heavy rainfalls? After last summer, I’ll be happy to never see another sandbag in DeKalb.

3. Scott March 28, 2008 7:50 PM

I certainly understand Justin, It’s what I live for – hence my screen name Stormlover!

4. Krazyforlabs621 March 28, 2008 8:41 PM

1. Since we’ve had foreign exchange students from china (they have never seen snow before.They are the same lattitude as cuba) here this year we have had the most snow. An inch would have been fine! 😉

2.How do you become a “weather watcher “?

http://www. e-rockford. com/petstar/vote. php?pnum=10#

I HAVE 0 VOTES AS OF TODAY! TO BE IN THE NEXT ROUND FOR THE RRSTAR PET STAR I NEED VOTES :

NO VOTES= 🙁 –> (: =VOTES

Thanks,

Katie

5. tony March 28, 2008 9:33 PM

It is very easy to become a weather watcher. All you have to do is call eric or adam or justin and tell them you would like to be a weather watcher and they will just get like your name, phone number, where u live at and like when you would be able to report any kind of rain or snow or hail.

6. Anthony March 29, 2008 4:14 AM

according to the nws, monday and monday night we are under a risk for strong to severe thunderstorms, how true is this?