Google’s "Street View" comes to Rockford!

Google Maps comes to Rockford! We’ve all used google.com and many have uesed Google Earth. Google “Street View” takes it one step further. A car with a special panoramic camera has to drive on every street in the area to get the pictures. In fact you can tilt the camera down and actually see the car. To try it out, simply go to maps.google.com and type in Rockford, Illinois (or better yet WREX-TV Rockford, Illinois). Then, click on the “Street View” button to see the pictures.

What do you think of this feature? -ERIC

This post was written by qni_it on March 28, 2008

1. Jim March 28, 2008 2:57 AM

oh no, i hope i didn’t accidentally get put in a pic somewhere (like me coming out of taco bell) or something. lol

2. Justin March 28, 2008 3:07 AM

*closes drapes*

3. tony March 28, 2008 3:32 AM

I got to my house, but I wasn’t home, my dad was out mowing the front yard.

4. Jim March 28, 2008 3:33 AM

justin: its too late lol. at least my yard looks nicely mowed 🙂

i was SO hoping i could get a date by checking the sign for the Rockford Riverhawks on East Riverside, just past the I90 junction. They always promote the game date and something they give away… but, cant read it. oh well. LOL im gonna keep looking!

5. Eric Sorensen March 28, 2008 3:37 AM

We’ve been trying to think of somewhere in the stateline where you can see the date. Closest thing I can think of is going to the Coronado Theatre and then checking the current movies at the downtown movie theatre in Freeport. -ERIC

My (former) lawn has trash bags on it! 🙂

6. Momof2Cs March 28, 2008 3:57 AM

This had to have been at least end of May because my newly planted trees show up in our yard. We did that over Memorial Day Weekend last year.

7. tony March 28, 2008 4:11 AM

Actually I zoomed into the coronado and it said something about tickets on sale now for september 22nd concert and I did see on another map updated on september 18th, so I am not sure if that is when these were taken.

8. Justin Gehrts March 28, 2008 4:46 AM

It’s interesting to see the different times at which the photos were taken. My family had out the Halloween decorations in our yard, indicating that Galena was done in October.

9. Justin March 28, 2008 5:52 AM

So I finally got time to use it, and wow. Thats pretty amazing how that works. But then i got to thinking… Is it really going to be put to much good use?

10. HeyBuddy March 28, 2008 12:18 PM

Fun fact:

While computers might have uploaded the pictures, it might have been a human that okayed the picture that is shown.

Amazon has a thing called Mechanical Turk — look up Mechanical Turk on google/yahoo, and you’ll see what I mean (sorry if it looks like I’m spamming but I really am not). Anyway, google started with the big cities first — I’m pleasantly surprised that it’s trickled down to us.

11. tony March 28, 2008 2:24 PM

It might come in good use to someone who is from out of town who might decide to come to rockford and they can get a street view of what certain streets look like and what is on the streets and far as businesses.

12. Ike March 28, 2008 7:43 PM