Developing a Thick Skin

Take a gander at the low temperatures this morning. The coldest readings were out west where the skies were clear for a longer period of time. Normally, this would be a major headline and we would be talking about extreme cold but it seems as though we’ve developed a pretty thick skin after such a cold month of January. It’s hard for me to get in the mindset of talking about a dangerously cold morning when it was just 12 days ago that we hit -25°!

So how thick is your skin? Are you fazed by mornings with temperatures in the single digits anymore or do you still shiver while your teeth chatter driving into work? -ADAM

This post was written by qni_it on January 28, 2009

1. tony January 28, 2009 4:36 PM

Actaully adam, I am so used to these cold mornings that we have had all winter, it doesn’t even faze me anymore. I just put my hood on over my head and my mouthstrap on and my gloves.

2. Scott January 28, 2009 4:48 PM

Used to it yes – like it NO! Still counting the days till Spring – 51

3. Adam Painter January 28, 2009 5:33 PM

My countdown is shorter Scott… 31 days until the start of meteorological spring! (March 1st)

4. WI Weather Buff January 28, 2009 5:58 PM

Anything that doesn’t make my pipes freeze is warm enough for me this winter!

Note: although my pipes did freeze when it hit -25º below, that was the first time in 13 years that I’ve been in that house. How quickly we re-adjust our parameters!

5. Renee January 28, 2009 8:58 PM

I’m with Scott –used to it, yes. Liking it, definitely NOT.

We’ve just gotten used to dressing warmer –my daughter puts on a sweater, winter coat, hat, hood, scarf and her warmest mittens, just for the 20 minute drive to school. With the exception of her snowpants, that many warm clothes used to be necessary only if she was going out to play in the snow!

And Adam, you meteorologists may call it spring on March 1st, but apparently you haven’t notified Mother Nature of that date!

6. Justin Gehrts January 28, 2009 10:04 PM

That’s something else we’ve gotten used to… Mother Nature not listening to us.

7. Scott January 28, 2009 11:52 PM