Hello everyone!

Hey bloggers my name is Eric Burke and I am the new weather desk intern at WREX for the summer.  I will be a frequent poster this summer and I just figured I would write a few lines to formally introduce myself.  I recently just graduated from Northern Illinois University in Dekalb this May with my Bachelors Degree in Meteorology.  In the fall I plan on heading back to NIU to earn a minor in broadcast journalism.  Chief meteorologist Eric Sorensen is elated to have another fellow Huskie hanging out at the weather desk for the summer.

My hometown is Homer Glen, Illinois in the southwest suburbs of Chicago and I graduated from Lockport Township High School in 2005.  In my spare time I enjoy playing rugby, attempting to play golf, and of course, forecasting the weather.  In the near future when I am finished with school I plan on becomming a broadcast meteorologist.

Well that is all for my brief biography.  You won’t see me on TV just yet but I will be helping out this summer answering your questions and filling up your meteorologist’s coffee cups.

Posted under weather

This post was written by qni_it on May 19, 2009

1. tony May 19, 2009 4:15 PM

Eric Burke, welcome to the 13 weather team. You will be interning and working with the best weather team in the country. Eric, justin and adam are all great guys and very humorous when the weather is quiet. Good luck with NIU in the fall, and look forward to seeing you on TV in the near future along with the fab 3.

2. James May 19, 2009 4:17 PM

Welcome to the team Eric B. You have the best team in the area to learn from. Enjoy your stay.

3. Jeff May 19, 2009 4:51 PM

Welcome Eric, we can never have enough Huskies around these parts! Did you play rugby @ NIU, is it still just a club sport?

Good luck this summer and Go HUSKIES!

4. Ike May 19, 2009 6:05 PM

Well welcome to the 13 Weather Team!

5. Jan May 19, 2009 6:43 PM

I’m excited for you! I hope you enjoy the experience.

6. Jim May 19, 2009 7:20 PM

Welcome and congrats..I almost went to NIU for met. back in in the 80s. Lonnng time ago. With that degree you could work for the NWS. Good Money these days. GSxx empl. pays well.

7. Eric Sorensen May 19, 2009 8:48 PM

And for the record, you’ll not be filling coffee cups Eric! haha -ES

8. Justin May 19, 2009 10:00 PM

Ill be starting my first year at NIU majoring in meteorology next year. Maybe ill see you around. Have fun this summer

9. WI Weather Buff May 20, 2009 12:45 AM

Welcome Eric! Hmm, a plethora of “Erics” at WREX, eh? How will you all keep one other straight?

I think the WREX meteorology team is by far the best broadcast meteorology team that I remember viewing … anywhere. You’ll be interning with some real pros. Congrats, and enjoy!

10. BUB - Belvidere May 20, 2009 7:52 AM

Welcome Intern Eric… You got there just in time for severe weather season, perhaps we will see you in the chat next storm!

11. Adam Painter May 20, 2009 9:08 AM

I hate coffee… 🙂

12. Eric Burke May 20, 2009 1:10 PM

Thats awesome! NIU has an excellent meteorolgy and geography program and you will learn a ton. Hope you are good at math!!! 🙂

13. Eric Burke May 20, 2009 1:16 PM

Yes I did play rugby at NIU and it still remains a club sport, which means little funding from the school. The Huskies men’s rugby team dominated the compettion in the fall going undefeated and outscoring our opponents 210-25! We were schelduled to play Northwestern University in the spring for the Chicago Cup, but both games were cancelled due to unplayable field conditions. Both days just happened to fall on days where flash flood warnings were issued, unlucky for us.

14. tony May 20, 2009 2:59 PM

Well eric, you sound like a very kind and likable person just like the fab 3 as I call them. I know alot of people tell me I should go back to school for meterology since I am so into storms when they are around or snowstorms in the winter. Go Huskies. I hope you are a cubs fan. Good luck to you.