Severe T’Storm Watch

Update – 7:30pm: All severe t’storm warnings have expired.  A T’Storm Watch is still in effect, but I do not anticipate any additional severe weather this evening.  Showers with embedded thunder will continue in the viewing area for the next couple of hours, however.
(4:56:01 PM) nwsbot: DVN issues Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Clinton, Jackson [IA] and Carroll, Jo Daviess, Stephenson [IL] till 6:00 PM CDT

Update – 4:55pm: A line of thunderstorms with severe t’storm warnings on them is currently located roughly along the Mississippi River and moving eastward at about 35mph.  Main threats will be gusty winds of around 60mph and heavy downpours, as well as the possibility of hail up to around 1″ in diameter.  Storms should move into Stephenson Co in about a half hour.

Original post – 3:40pm: A *Severe Thunderstorm Watch* is in effect for all counties in the stateline viewing area until 10 PM.  Also, a Flash Flood Warning is in effect for Winnebago County until 10:30 PM.

Posted under severe weather, weather

This post was written by qni_it on June 27, 2009

1. Ron June 27, 2009 4:30 PM

I guess there won’t be a live chat without Sorenson or Gehrtz. : (

2. Paula- Stockton June 27, 2009 4:54 PM

Why no chat? I have some really nasty stuff coming up my way, would like to know what is going on!

3. Justin Gehrts June 27, 2009 5:02 PM

Sorry guys – am quickly catching up after being out of town for a week. Updates coming shortly.

4. Ron June 27, 2009 5:04 PM

You the Man!!!!!!!!!!! : )

5. WI Weather Buff June 27, 2009 8:18 PM

I want to know how the weather affects the digital TV signal.

Back when the weather chat was on, WREX was not coming in at all on my indoor digital antenna … just frozen pixelated pix and about 0.25 of a second of sound maybe every 2 or 3 seconds. Completely unwatchable.

Now that the storms are passed, WREX comes in like a charm. I did not change anything with respect to my antenna between then and now, and I presume WREX didn’t change anything with respect to its signal strength, so I really think it was the weather conditions that made the difference.

So again, I want to learn about how weather affects digital TV signals and why.

6. jim June 27, 2009 8:25 PM

Got some great pics from the approaching storms shelf cloud as it passed through Lanark IL. in Carroll Co. Got hit with 65mph winds..I’ll fwd the pics to Justin. They should be on my site by Sunday sometime too

7. WI Weather Buff June 28, 2009 4:46 PM

Well, today I am completely unable to receive WREX, not even blocky pixels, just “NO SIGNAL.” So it must not be the weather.

I may have to give up on the 13 Weather team if I can’t get WREX any more (although I did notice that the overnight radar+guitar music was coming in just fine) But when daylight broke — Nothing.

But (oddly enough) I can now receive WKOW in Madison loud and clear. According to the FCC website, it is too far away with too weak a signal for me to be able to receive it at all. And WREX’s signal is supposedly strong enough where I live that I should be able to receive it with any old digital antenna, not even an expensive one.

I hate “Digital” tv!

8. Justin Gehrts June 29, 2009 11:27 AM

If it makes you feel better, I can’t pick up our signal at all, and I live in Rockford. 🙂

I couldn’t really find much information about the effects of weather on a digital signal. The FCC site mentioned wind and thunderstorms as a source of signal loss, but didn’t go into much detail as to why.

My search for some info on the physics of the digital signal came up empty, as well – I wasn’t sure if there was a big change on how the signal carries compared to that of an analog signal. Channel 13 is at the top of the VHF spectrum though; apparently many people across the nation are having problems getting a good signal on the VHF band. Indoor antennas with converter boxes don’t do well with the VHF band, lowering its quality. (http://www.tvnewsday.com/articles/2009/06/18/daily.5/)

Since this deals with a federal organization, I would guess that changes may be slow to occur, especially considering the number of VHF stations that are probably having the same signal concerns.

9. WI Weather Buff June 29, 2009 12:28 PM

Wow, thanks for the research! 🙂 🙂

The thing that is funny is: I was getting WREX okay since Feb — not always great, sometimes pretty broken up, but good enough for jazz. Now I’m not getting it at ALL.

Wierd.

10. SuttonLeigh June 27, 2011 5:22 PM

Various people in the world receive the mortgage loans from different creditors, because it is fast and easy.