Possible tornado this evening in Rock Co.

28PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

BY 810 PM…A TORNADO WAS REPORTED ON THE GROUND BY THE PUBLIC 5
MILES SOUTHEAST OF EDGERTON…OR NEAR CLEAR LAKE. THE STORM
GRADUALLY WEAKENED…AND THE TORNADO WARNING WAS ALLOWED TO EXPIRE
AT 830 PM.

AROUND 915 PM…ROCK COUNTY 911 CALLED THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
MILWAUKEE TO REPORT TREE DAMAGE NORTH OF CLEAR LAKE. TREE DEBRIS
COVERED THE GROUND…BLOCKING CLEAR LAKE ROAD.

BECAUSE OF THESE FACTORS…A DAMAGE SURVEY WILL BE CONDUCTED AROUND
9 AM WEDNESDAY WHICH WILL INVESTIGATE THE REPORTS OF A TORNADO.

————————————————————————–

(8:25:38 PM) nwsbot: MKX continues Tornado Warning for Rock [WI] till 8:30 PM CDT …AT 800 PM CDT…THE JANESVILLE AIRPORT REPORTED A TORNADO NORTH OF THE AIRPORT…MOVING SOUTH. AT 820 PM…THE AIRPORT NOTED THE TORNADO HAD DISSIPATED. THE STORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR MILTON…MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 10 MPH.

(8:13:05 PM) nwsbot: MKX: 3 Se Edgerton [Rock Co, WI] airplane pilot reports FUNNEL CLOUD at 07:55 PM CDT — airplane pilot spotted funnel cloud almost touching the ground near edgerton.

(8:13:05 PM) nwsbot: MKX: 5 Se Edgerton [Rock Co, WI] public reports TORNADO at 08:10 PM CDT — tornado reported on the ground.

(8:00:36 PM) nwsbot: MKX issues Tornado Warning for Rock [WI] till 8:30 PM CDT …* AT 759 PM CDT…TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A FUNNEL CLOUD NEAR EDGERTON. A TORNADO MAY DEVELOP AT ANY TIME! DOPPLER RADAR SHOWED THIS TORNADIC STORM MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 10 MPH.

(8:06:14 PM) nws-bill.borghoff: Just issued a tornado warning for northern rock county after receiving a report of a funnel cloud almost touching the ground as a shower rapidly developed. It does show some weak rotation and does have a hook, so we had to take it seriously. Feeling is that there is enough low level instability still to spin something up very briefly.

Posted under severe weather, tornado

This post was written by qni_it on June 23, 2009

1. Tim Harms June 23, 2009 8:21 PM

Anything to worry about with the storms in IA?

2. WI Weather Buff June 23, 2009 8:28 PM

I thought these new parallelograms (or whatever they are) that NWS issues warnings for were supposed to prevent these things … tornado sirens went off in Beloit 2x now, once at 8:02 and once at 8:10.

I’m no meteorologist, but even if that thing up by Milton is a funnel cloud, there is NO warning for Beloit and that thing is about as much of a threat to Beloit as my great grandma is.

I know, I know, it is local officials that decide when to activate sirens. But I wish there were some standards for that…

These spurious siren activations make people LAUGH at them rather than taking them seriously.

3. Carole-PopGrv June 23, 2009 9:48 PM

Raining and winding and lightening in poplar grove.

4. Eric Sorensen June 23, 2009 10:02 PM

Report of power and phone out in Milton, WI 9:50pm. -ES

5. WI Weather Buff June 23, 2009 10:06 PM

I would sure like to understand the physics of this “strange situation” better.

I did note that the cloud tops at the time of the funnel cloud were only 15,000 feet. Certainly not a typical supercell. Also it was so isolated.

My guess (layperson style) is that this t-storm billowed up so fast that the updraft (which would have been present in any rapidly developing t-storm, right?) just started rotating and formed a visible funnel — almost more like a landspout.

Am I way off base here?

6. Eric Sorensen June 23, 2009 10:16 PM

Wi: Since the storm was so close to the Sullivan radar, you can look at LOT and DVN’s to check the echo-tops. The storms had VERY impressive updrafts. Had some 42dbz rain up 24,000 feet. Looking at the small-scale stuff, a lake-breeze was in the area and an outflow from storms in Iowa were right in the area…essentially putting a squeezeplay on the storms. Whether this was a landspout or tornado depends on the damage and any pictures we receive. MKX will be sending out a survey team first thing in the morning. -ES

7. Adam June 23, 2009 10:52 PM

Eric,

I had a spotter on this storm. He saw nothing from his POV and he was in the inflow on the SW corner of the storm. This thing had to be a VERY brief spin-up or just straight-line winds.

I was watching the spotter net up here for the guy in charge while he ran out for a second (we were semi-active b/c of the slight risk) and I figured nothing would happen. Next thing I noticed a tornado warning popped up on the little weather map program I have, followed by the Wx Radio.

Radar images I watched http://bit.ly/tW2kN I really wasn’t impressed with it and never did really see anything that’d suggest tornado. Oh well.

-Adam

8. tony June 23, 2009 11:13 PM

I know around 9pm at walmart on riverside and owen center, that blip that showed up on the radar in winnebago county, it rained so hard, our parking lot flooded and we had wind up to 30 mph whipping carts around in the parking lot. But nothing happened here at my house though.