“6 Week Forecast” comes true! Well, sort of.

Shown on 13News July 19th

Graphic shown on 13News July 19th

Back in July, many of you thought it was odd to hear locusts (actually cicadas) so early in the season. Folklore suggested that we were in for a mighty cold weather pattern for August 29th and 30th. I’ve gotta hand it to the cicadas and Justin Gehrts. First, the cicadas were very accurate in their forecast. Now we didn’t see any frost, but it was down to 38° in Rochelle this morning with near record-lows in Rockford this morning. Justin Gehrts is on the ball because he remembered this graphic and posted it on the 13 Weather Authority Facebook page.

So, what do you think of this? I think it’s awesome because it’s something that can’t be accurately explained. What pieces of folklore do you believe to be accurate? Please share!

Posted under cold blast, science, weather, wildlife

This post was written by qni_it on August 31, 2009

1. tony August 31, 2009 6:20 PM

Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning, red sky at night, sailors delight.

2. Lawrence W "Larry" Ermey August 31, 2009 8:15 PM

Friday I was walking over to talk to my neighbor and seen a locust in his tree, just about out of the old shell. Got pictures too. will try to send.

3. Eric Sorensen August 31, 2009 9:31 PM

Betty Diehl wrote “I believe that animals can sense bad weather. Reason being is I have a Miniature Pinscher named Mouse she is 4 years old today is her birthday. She could be our next weather dog when it comes to bad storms. The storm can be about an hour away from us and she will start shaking and panting and pacing. When we see her do this we know that a bad storm is going to roll into our area. So if anyone says animals can not sense if a bad storm is going to appear then they need to meet Mouse because she knows when they are coming. But that is our folklore. Animals can sense bad weather.”

4. WI Weather Buff August 31, 2009 11:53 PM

I believe that when the squirrels have thick coats and are stashing away more nuts than usual its going to be a bad winter.

5. tony September 1, 2009 8:36 AM

You know WI Weather Buff, I am almost wondering if that is true. I know last year during the fall or late summer I can’t remember which one, when I would be driving to work, I was seeing more squirrels than usual with nuts and I almost wondered if it would signal a bad winter, and of course we had the horrible snowy december.

6. Myra Pollard September 3, 2009 8:42 PM

I grew up with the one about the locust, and my mother swears by it. My Grandma always said “red (sky) in the morning – sailors worning; red (sky) at night – sailors delight. It is also pretty much true, a red sunrise can be a portent of storms later that day. Also if there is heavy dew on the grass it will not rain that day. I have followed that also, knowoing I could hang laundry out to dry, and leave it on the line while I was at work, or running errands. Here is one more. If you observe the squirrels, you can often tell what type of winter it will be. If they hide most of their nuts in the trees, it will likely be a very snowy winter. If they bury most of them in the ground it will likely be a winter without much snow.

7. Manolo Blahnik December 25, 2011 7:35 PM