Hello Rockford!

Hello Rockford!

My name is Aaron Brackett and as of this upcoming weekend, I will be your new weekend meteorologist here at WREX!

I have always been interested in weather since I can remember. Back in school at Luther Academy here in Rockford, I used to give local forecasts from my desk until the teacher had enough. When it came time to graduate Lutheran High, I took this passion and decided that I wanted to make it my career.

I attended Valparaiso University in Indiana for meteorology. While there, I became the president of VUSIT (Valparaiso University Storm Intercept Team). If you are wondering that that is, we are the group of individuals that drive towards severe weather while others (the smart ones) drive away in hopes of learning the how and why of storm development. During my time in Indiana, I went on two 11-day storm chases lead by our professor, Dr. Bart Wolf. During these chases, I logged over 13,000 miles and have been in 17 states in pursuit of the perfect storm. In addition to storm chasing, I spent a semester working with WGN’s Tom Skilling in Chicago. Just last summer, I returned home and forecasted at WIFR on their digital channel.
Having lived here my whole life, I am glad to call Rockford’s Weather Authority my new home and I look forward to forecasting for all of you here in the Stateline!

Posted under weather

This post was written by qni_it on September 28, 2009

1. Krista September 28, 2009 7:55 PM

Wow Aaron, you probably don’t remember me at all, but I worked aftercare at LAGD. I remember your passion for weather. I am so glad you have followed your dream! Can’t wait to have on air for Rockford!

2. Chuck Brackett September 28, 2009 8:21 PM

Mom & Dad are very proud of you, and so are a lot of local friends and family who will be tuning into TV 13, The Weather Authority!
    Way to go Aaron! Lots of Love -Mom and Dad

3. Lori Mueller September 28, 2009 8:27 PM

Yay, Aaron! We are so excited for you! Channel 13 is my new source of weather information!

Looking forward to this weekend!

4. tony September 28, 2009 8:32 PM

Aaron, welcome to the best weather team in america. You will be working with the best. I look forward to seeing you this weekend. Again, congrats and good luck to you. 13 weather authority rocks forever!!!!

5. Mike and Pam LaPier September 28, 2009 9:44 PM

Aaron,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! We always knew when you were a little guy you would one day be the very BEST weatherman in ROCKFORD! We are proud of you and wish you the very best. Now, if only we could get Channel 13 in Sacramento!!!!! Think you can throw a forecast our way once in a while???????

Mike and Pam LaPier

6. Justin Gehrts September 28, 2009 9:49 PM

Wow, looks like somebody already has his own fan club!

7. Aaron Brackett September 28, 2009 10:05 PM

Thank you all for the amazing reception! I cannot wait to get on the air and start bringing the weather into all of your homes (sorry LaPiers, I will see what I can do about providing you guys a personal forecast haha).

8. Curt Sanders September 28, 2009 10:30 PM

Justin,
    We will miss you. You have become a friend that keeps us informed without alarming us. Good luck in your future endeavors. You will be missed by this Wx geek.

Aaron,
    Welcome to WREX. Eric has a way of teaching the audience about the weather without talking over their head. Justin has learned a lot in his two or three years he has been here. If you can learn Eric’s way of presenting the Wx in a teaching manner, you will be a huge success regardless of the market you go to.

9. Justin September 29, 2009 12:11 AM

I was really close to going to Valparaiso this year and I heard about the long storm chases they have. It sounds like a lot of fun

10. tony September 29, 2009 12:26 AM

Wait a minute, since when is JG leaving. Or am I misreading curts statement or did I miss something tonight.

11. WI Weather Buff September 29, 2009 12:41 AM

Aaron, welcome!

Good to have you on board.

12. happyweathergirl September 29, 2009 8:17 AM

Welcome back to Rockford and to WREX! By far, this channel has the best weather education and updates! It is really nice that they welcome all weather enthusiasts.

13. Lu September 29, 2009 8:57 AM

Welcome to 13 Weather Authority Aaron! looking forward to getting to know you! in response to Curt Sanders post.. is Justin Gehrts leaving? he is one of my favorites he better not be leaving 🙁

14. Dave and Marje September 29, 2009 9:22 AM

Aaron,
    Congratulations!
    We have been expecting this since we observed the wires extending from your house to create your first weather station.
    We will be watching!
    Best of luck!
    Dave and Marje

15. Charles & Patricia Brackett September 29, 2009 7:27 PM

Congratulations Aaron!!!
    We have always depended on WREX for our
    weather information and now it will be
    an even greater pleasure to be able to
    watch our grandson bring us the latest
    weather. As always, we are so proud of
    you. We remember you putting out your
    rain gauges when you were just a little
    guy and now look where it has gotten you!
    Love you, Grandma & Grandpa Brackett

16. Cathy Szewczyk September 30, 2009 11:05 AM

Aaron…..way to go! We will be tuning in here at the Szewczyk house….very exciting!

17. Jody September 30, 2009 11:38 AM

Looking forward to seeing you on T.V. Somehow knew your face would be in my livingroom even if you weren’t there in person. How exciting.

18. Carrie in Dixon October 2, 2009 10:26 PM