Eroding snowpack bolsters fog

61Stepping outside this evening, you will surely notice two things, the warm temperatures and the lack of visibility. The combination of our above average temperatures and our remaining snowpack is giving us quite the moist lower layer. As of Saturday evening, many places are reporting visibilities of 1/4 mile. I included a picture of our current snowcover through the midwest. Although we are advecting very warm air over the ground, our above average December snow is holding strong. Expect fog to hang around through the early evening before being cut back a bit by a large batch of rain that will move in overnight.

Posted under fog

This post was written by qni_it on January 23, 2010

1. Mark January 24, 2010 10:06 AM

On the topic of snowpack anybody else notice on the NWS website the guy from Barrington overstates the snow depth?. For example this week he claimed the depth on Friday was 8 inches but by Saturday the depth was 9 inches…after NO SNOW!!!. This morning even after all the rain he is claiming 8 inches when people nearby are recording 0-3 inches as the depth. Anybody else notice this?

2. tony January 24, 2010 11:31 AM

Either that guy is wanting attention or he is measuring where a plowed pile is or shoveled pile. Our front yard is bare now except where we shoveled.

3. Mark January 24, 2010 1:52 PM

Yeah probably both!!!

4. Aaron Brackett January 24, 2010 3:02 PM

That is very interesting guys

-AB

5. Eric Sorensen January 24, 2010 4:09 PM

I tell ya Aaron, hit the nail on the head! This Partic airmass is quite interesting. -ES

6. tony January 24, 2010 4:14 PM

I am hoping we do get a couple of inches of snow tomorrow to re-cover the ground with the snow that we lost this weekend.

7. WI Weather Buff January 24, 2010 5:01 PM

Looks like the January Thaw is about over, eh?

🙁

My yard is still snow covered (not counting piles of shoveled snow). Wish it was bare. I miss seeing the ground. I also still have to either go way around or else climb over piles of snow dumbly thrown between my front door and where I usually park the car.

For a while I couldn’t get the gate open between the front and the back yard either, first because the snow was too deep and later because it was frozen shut. But now I (finally) can. At least until the slush under the gate turns to solid ice again…

I did see a very bright red Cardinal sitting in a shrub that is (finally) recovering from the December ice storm. When we had the heavy snow/ice back in December it pretty much flattened my 6′ tall evergreen shrub, and I wasn’t sure the plant would survive.

But today the branches are bouncing back and that bright red Cardinal was sitting in it looking for all the world like nothing ever happened to it. That was encouraging.

8. tony January 24, 2010 5:14 PM

My front yard is void of any snow except for the small piles where we shoveled.But the city area of grass (between the sidewalk and road) is still covered in snow. Our backyard is half covered and half bare. I hope we get more soon to cover it back up.

9. tony January 24, 2010 6:31 PM

Actually aaron, are there any major snows coming in the foreseeable future.

10. Eric (ROSCOE) January 24, 2010 9:32 PM

I live about 5 miles east of Roscoe and we still have 6-8 inches back in the woods but the open fields are almost bare. Hopefully the snowmobiles can come back out soon!

11. Aaron Brackett January 24, 2010 9:37 PM

No major snows forecast. We might be able to pick up 1/2 to 1 inch during the day tomorrow. I guess that could help it look the part at least

-AB

12. tony January 24, 2010 11:06 PM

I still think by the end of next month, we will have one more storm of 6 inches or more of snow. I would be happy if we get that. Then that could melt and spring can come.

13. Coach Outlet Store July 23, 2011 2:05 AM

like the subtle wind. In spring, it steals a kiss on my cheek; in autumn, it caresses my face; in summer, it brings in cool sweet smell; in winter, it carries a crisp chilliness…