Can we break 45?

14Look for the clouds to stick around for at least another day before sunshine becomes the dominating feature for the end of the week. Our pesky blocking pattern will finally shift to the east early this week and allow high pressure to dominate. In addition to clearing skies, southerly flow finally returns by the end of the week making for a spectacular beginning to next weekend with highs in the middle forties under sunny skies. Conditions stay dry until southerly flow taps into gulf moisture on Sunday and gives us a chance for showers.

As of today, it has been 89 days since we have broken the 45 degree point here in Rockford. If we manage to make it to Friday without breaking 45 degrees, this will be the 2nd longest stretch under that temperature on record.

Posted under rain

This post was written by qni_it on February 28, 2010

1. tony February 28, 2010 8:10 PM

Aaron, do you think we will have many more snow systems, or are we pretty much done with the snow.

2. WI Weather Buff February 28, 2010 8:28 PM

tony — this is the Upper Midwest. We can and sometimes do get really dumped on all the way through March. Don’t hang that shovel up in the barn loft just yet!

3. Aaron Brackett February 28, 2010 8:34 PM

Wx Buff is correct…We have had some pretty substantial storms even into early April. We really are adding to that average high pretty rapidly in the next few weeks, but snow is still very possible.

-AB

4. WI Weather Buff February 28, 2010 8:50 PM

I wish we could just have a “closing ceremony” (just like the Olympics…) and call it a Winter.

I was looking at seeds today & fantasizing about my summer veggie garden. Time to get cracking with those indoor seedlings!

5. tony February 28, 2010 9:48 PM

Well if I put the shovel away, it would be in a basement. hehe. I have a feeling that by next weekend, most of this snow will be gone except the snow piles. I hope it does melt in our street so I can finally park on the curb in front of our house instead of part way in the street. I think eric said that by the end of this month coming up, the avg high will be in the lower 50s.

6. FSU February 28, 2010 9:58 PM

Got some bulbs coming up in a couple of beds for the past week or so already. We should be seeing a heavy storm with cold anytime soon, if history from the past few years holds…

7. FSU February 28, 2010 9:58 PM

BTW Aaron, I prefer either Starbucks or Dunkin’. I’m just sayin’… Haha

8. FSU February 28, 2010 10:00 PM

Dangit! I meant to ask this, but hit “submit” too fast.

What was the most days below 45 if we’re approaching the 2nd most next Friday?

9. Aaron Brackett March 1, 2010 12:09 AM

FSU, the most ever was 114 back in 1979, which is well above 2nd place!

-AB

10. Aaron Brackett March 1, 2010 12:11 AM

Tony, March 1st has an average high of 39 in Rockford. By March 31st our average spikes to 53!

-AB