Bad Air

74426_10150119227194167_639419166_7653839_7165431_nThe Wisconsin DNR has alerted the National Weather Service to particulate matter that may make the air unsafe in Southeastern Wisconsin, including Rock and Walworth Counties. An Air Quality Alert has been issued and will remain in place until this stagnant airmass disperses the particulate matter.

Do you think the burning of leaves should be outlawed? Obviously it is a threat to health.

Posted under pollution

This post was written by qni_it on November 10, 2010

1. Renee November 10, 2010 6:36 PM

Yes, the burning of leaves should be illegal. I live near Rockton, and you can not drive through that town at this time of year without choking on the smoke. My daughter has asthma, so this has been a real problem for us.

Compost, people! Mow over the leaves and let them add organic material to your lawn.

2. Brad Hruza November 10, 2010 6:39 PM

Although it smells good “Yes” it should be illegal. Its illegal in cities and should be everywhere else as well. Only takes a small wind to blow the fire for miles and catch houses on fire. Why should everyone have to worry about someone else burning their house down?

3. Evelyn November 10, 2010 7:32 PM

Oh my, yes, it should be illegal. It is sooooo bad to breathe in all of the things that are burned along with those leaves, and when you live in a rural area like I do, the people burn all sorts of bad stuff along with the leaves…but, I just hate that out here in rural Boone county, there is no pick up for our leaves or yard waste, so what choice does it leave people? We have a Belvidere address, so I really think that the city should take care of us as well. I live in a nice subdivision, and we are just a bit north of town. I break my back loading all of the yard waste and leaves into bags and lifting it into my car and hauling it into Rockford to my parent’s house, where it gets picked up. Ridiculous. We cannot burn due to the fact that we all have allergies, but even if we did not, I would not want to do that to all of the other folks who live around us and would have to breathe it, too. Nothing is worse than having a beautiful day like today ruined by people around us burning….it was just awful today.

4. tony November 10, 2010 7:58 PM

I think it should be illegal. The other night, I was driving on a side street next to mine and literally went through a cloud of smoke from burning. But even if it was illegal, people are going to burn anyhow.

5. WI Weather Buff November 10, 2010 9:33 PM

I think it should be illegal in town.

Farms dispose of a lot of excess materials by burning. I see no need to prohibit it in genuinely rural areas.

6. Tim [W Belvidere] November 10, 2010 9:53 PM

So burning would only be allowed if you have greater than a specific number of acres. That would be workable; it would guarantee that the pollution is dispersed by the time it reaches the neighbors.

7. Doris November 10, 2010 11:22 PM

Yes, leaf burning should be outlawed. It’s a health hazard. I used to love to smell the burning leaves, but now that I’ve gotten older, it almost takes my breath away. My husband mowes them up, which is good for the soil.

8. Kate November 10, 2010 11:25 PM

I don’t think it should be allowed. Personally for me it triggers my migraines and this year has been really hard to breathe

9. Greg November 11, 2010 6:12 AM

In a town or a city yes. If you live in a unincorporated area then no. Question is if it is not good to burn yard waste, and it is good to have trees and plants, why do I have to pay extra to do it? I have to pay to get rid of my yard debris.

10. lauren November 11, 2010 11:28 AM

Yes should be illegal!! My neighbors burn about 4 times a week, and seeing they are on the west side of me, all the smoke fills my yard, and makes it so I cant even open my windows. Rockton is the worst this time of year!! When you have allergies, it just makes it so much worse. If you can die from smoke, then why is ok to burn and have huge clouds of smoke for hours?? Clearly it is not good to breath.