100 car pile-up in North Dakota

breaking_news3Blizzard conditions across much of North Dakota have caused authorities to close most of I-94 and almost all of I-29 completely tonight.

According to KFYR-TV a one hundred car pile-up occurred on I-94 this afternoon west of Fargo. A semi-truck slid partially off the road which then caused a chain reaction accident as dozens of cars and trucks crashed into one another. Emergency crews had a difficult time getting to the stranded motorists due to zero visibility. Several people were injured, but none of those are life-threatening.

Zero visibility has caused Department of Transportation officials to call off snow removal equipment until at least Friday morning.

Stories like these should be reason enough to have a winter emergency kit in your car. Do you have one just in case?

Posted under news, snow, weather, winter storm

This post was written by qni_it on December 30, 2010

1. Vicki December 30, 2010 8:27 PM

This is a tow company nightmare !!! Hope everyone is ok !!

2. Brad Hruza December 30, 2010 8:30 PM

@Vicki. Or its a tow companies dream for the amout they will make off this. Hope noone dies from the injuries.

3. Vicki December 30, 2010 8:57 PM

Brad ~ not the way we like to make money!!

4. jason December 30, 2010 9:07 PM

ya thats not a good way to make money tho .thats going to take awhile to get the cars and etc off the roads

5. BillNole December 30, 2010 9:59 PM

I’ve carried an emergency kit in my car year round, since I first started driving. I believe in being prepared to take care of myself and not having to depend on someone else to rescue me. Same applies not just when driving! Be prepared to take care of yourself and your own family…

6. Brad Hruza December 31, 2010 1:09 AM

No Im not saying its a good thing Im saying they will though. No way was I saying it was a good thing ๐Ÿ™‚

7. WI Weather Buff December 31, 2010 5:48 AM

Ever since the 24-hr 2000 vehicle back-up in 2008 on I-39/90 in WI … on the route that I drive every day … I carry an emergency winter survival kit in my car.

Always thought, “ehh, that couldn’t happen here?” Wrong-O.

Before that: I always thought, “Hey, this is Wisconsin, we know how to deal with snow, we have a good Dept of Transportation that keeps the Interstates passable, there is lots of traffic and lots of exits, it can’t happen that anyone gets stranded on this well traveled piece of the Interstate in a relatively populous area.”

After: I keep winter survival gear (i.e., below 0ยบ rated sleeping bag, 2 days worth of food, flashlights, hand-crank radio, shovel, sand, salt, extra gloves, hats, ear muffs and socks, and a complete change of (dry) clothing, including boots) in the car at all times.

As a long time (summer!) mountain backpacker who once came perilously close to Meeting My Maker due to hypothermia, I have a healthy respect for the need to stay dry and warm as a necessary condition of survival … and when your car runs out of gas from running the vehicle’s heater … you can’t count on your vehicle’s heater to do that for you.

You need an outdoor cold-weather survival kit in the car at all times, even if you are traveling well-traveled roads and don’t plan on leaving your vehicle.

8. chanel uk February 12, 2012 8:47 PM

chanel uk

have own characteristic designs. The beautiful crystals have added the magical finishing touch to countless bridal gowns. Just get some for yourself.The conventional
    chanel bags

are produced for qualified females in add-on to university college students for there are so various styles and styles.

9. coach outlet February 12, 2012 8:47 PM

Bright colors, exquisite workmanship, durable material and up-to-date style all lead to the great fame of the goods in
    coach outlet

.As a fashion and modern lady, you can never have too many bags but Coach, Coach is a great leather handbags brand.
    coach outlet store online

have different look according to different designer concept.

10. coach outlet online February 12, 2012 8:47 PM

coach outlet online

develops very quickly because it runs by its own special way and it contents the customers greatly.
    coach factory outlet

can design new and original products that are also functional. The stylish appearance of products, sophisticated workmanship, superior quality and highly competitive prices have won the customer’s trust and love from consumers at home and abroad. So you can rest assured that purchase.