Canadian model paints snowy picture next week

gemHere is the GEM computer model forecast for accumulated snowfall through Wednesday morning. Keep in mind, the storm will not be done for us by this time so this should not be thought of as a “snowfall total” map for us. Instead, it indicates the type of snow next week’s storm will be able to produce. Click to enlarge (Areas of light blue indicate over 10 inches. Should this track east-northeast as we believe it will, we will see the heaviest snow of the winter season). -ES

Posted under snow, winter storm

This post was written by qni_it on January 28, 2011

1. kimberly January 28, 2011 5:03 PM

bring on the biggest snow storm ever, so we can be done with it already… We are due for one!!

2. Eric January 28, 2011 6:31 PM

Gonna bet that it completly misses us, just like every other decent snow this year.

3. david January 28, 2011 9:17 PM

We are entering that period (late January through at least mid February) where big snows, on the average, tend to miss us (here in the Janesville, WI area) to the south, but I cannot forget the blessing we experienced on Feb. 5-6, 2008, with a monster storm here, creating very close to blizzard conditions (certainly a winter storm warning, but not quite a blizzard warning) here. So another 50-100 miles further N.W. for the storm track, would be ideal! It is interesting how Eric, a day ago (when most models had this thing tracking much farther south), indicated that he thought the coming models would place the track farther north again — he was right on! Also, the best chance for this is about a day later, as of late Thursday here (now for late Tuesday through Wednesday), than the expected time frame had originally been.

4. david January 28, 2011 9:20 PM

Ooops! I meant to say late Friday in my comment above!

5. tony January 28, 2011 9:23 PM

I remember that storm in 2008. I reported a total of 14 inches at my house. It was the first time in my life I had seen a total of more than a foot. Granted at the rockford airport, where the official total is recorded, only had 10 inches.

6. Al Marinaro January 28, 2011 9:31 PM

It’s rare to see such snow totals on Earl Barker’s GEM Model total snowfall graphic. Now, only if we can get a decent phase with the perfect N. Illinois favorable inland runner track. Crazy Potential with the baroclinic zone / polar air in place / Moisture transit.