Winter Weather Breakdown

out41

out110out211out37Monday: A Winter Weather Advisory is in effect for Rock and Walworth (WI) and Jo Daviess and Stephenson (IL) County. Snow will start by Monday afternoon and last into Tuesday morning. This first round could drop 2-6 inches of snow through the viewing area. Parts of Southern Wisconsin will have the best chance to see closer to 6 inches.

Tuesday: Snow will taper off by late morning. However, the winds will start to pick up out of the northeast up to 35 mph. This will cause blowing and drifting snow, which could affect roadways.

A Blizzard Watch is in effect from Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday for: Winnebago, Boone, McHenry, Ogle, Lee and Dekalb (IL) and Rock and Walworth (WI) County.

A Winter Storm Watch is in effect from Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday for: Jo Daviess, Stephenson, Carroll and Whiteside County.

Tuesday Night into Wednesday: As the major winter storm system approaches, snowfall rates will increase from 1-3 inches per hour. This will lead to quick snow accumulation ranging from 10-20 inches. Winds will also increase out of the Northeast up to 45 mph. The combination for gusty winds and heavy snowfall will create blizzard conditions that will make traveling very dangerous to nearly impossible.

Posted under snow, winter storm

This post was written by qni_it on January 30, 2011

1. Ken Harper January 30, 2011 4:51 PM

Woohoo! Bring it on. Looking forward to one not dodging us at the last moment.

2. Dawn January 30, 2011 4:58 PM

YES!! Ken, you are right! I hope it doesn’t dodge us at the last minute. Bring it!

3. Paula southwest of Stockton January 30, 2011 5:09 PM

Are we for sure going to get a major amount of snow, or is there a chance it could still veer off?????
    Gas tank is full for snowblowing, LP tank is full for heating or running generator, we have milk, bread and eggs(and Pepsi), cats have warm blankies in their house, birds have been fed, bring it on!

4. WI Weather Buff January 30, 2011 5:27 PM

Uggg.

Okay, I’ve just gotta say this……

My employer has been threatening to move us all out of our offices to a different building (in order to remodel) since last August. We were originally scheduled to get moved the first week in Sept.

The project kept getting put off and the dates kept getting pushed back over & over, due to various delays.

Starting in **OCTOBER** I started saying publicly, “Well, now that they’ve got it pushed back until Winter, whenever it finally actually happens, you can be sure that we will end up having to move during the worst blizzard of the year.”

Our scheduled move date (really, the one that is not going to change, no matter what) is THIS WED, Feb 2 (the day of the anticipated blizzard).

Do I get to say, “I toldja so?”

5. Ryan January 30, 2011 5:38 PM

Check out the national weather services (chicago) experimental snow fall totals for the blizzard watch counties.

6. Ryan January 30, 2011 5:46 PM

The best thing,(from my point of view) is normally I think their forecast totals are on the low side.

7. BUB - Belvidere January 30, 2011 6:08 PM

OMG I am so EXCITED RIGHT NOW!!! I can barely contain myself. The only thing that could be better is MORE now… move that 20+ area up to Belvidere!

8. tony January 30, 2011 6:12 PM

Well bub, like I posted on FB, normally I would be all excited and hyped about major storms like this, but right now I am just playing a wait and see approach simply because there have been so many storms in the past that have threatened us like this only to shift or weaken to where we dont get anything. I am hoping we do get the major accumulations. That is why I only trust 13 weather authority. They keep us up to the second updated with model data and everything.

9. Justin January 30, 2011 7:22 PM

With a system this strong could we see some thundersnow?

10. Ryan January 30, 2011 7:43 PM

Me too Tony, but half the fun of a snowstorm like this is anticipating and reseaching it for yourself. I trust Eric, Aaron, and Cyndi to let me know what to expect before anyone else. That said, I still enjoy looking at all the models myself and seeing what others are forecasting. The later is why I trust 13 more than anyone else. They always seem to have the best forecasts.

11. jason January 30, 2011 8:36 PM

just woundering if there r more models to come in before the tuesday if the snow totals will go up or down?

Trackbacks