Slight severe potential today

11:30am – With the cold front approaching, and the light showers/clouds in place, today’s severe threat appears limited at best. Areas east of Rockford will see the best severe potential later today as heating has been maximized with sunshine all morning. Light rain will remain likely through the afternoon with a slight chance for a thunderstorm.

Strong storms are possible today as a surface low passes to our north. Extending south of the low is a modestly strong cold front. As the front slides east toward the Stateline area, showers and thunderstorms will likely form. Warm, moist air is in place ahead of the boundary which will interact with the forcing near the ground.  As of right now, the main threat appears to be strong straight line winds with these storms as they form.

This morning, rain showers and a few thunderstorms occurred ahead of the front. As the boundary approaches, storms may re-fire early this afternoon but there is also the possibility that the front may pass east before the “cap” breaks. This would mean that light showers would be all that we see here in the Rockford area. Unfortunately, this will have to be a wait-and-see kind of event as we track the frontal passage through the late morning and early afternoon.

-Aaron

Posted under severe weather

This post was written by qni_it on May 31, 2011

1. Shirl May 31, 2011 7:53 AM

I’ve had enough already. This rain,humidty & heat are making my migraines worse. Is it winter yet? I need snow!

2. Pam May 31, 2011 8:02 AM

Move to Alaska Shirl Not to sound mean but My bones ache i nthe cold and rain but the heats not too bad We have been dieing for it!

3. Joshua Richardson (SE RFD) May 31, 2011 12:18 PM

LIES!! look at the dumb mesoscale discussion b4 posting that aaron! mkay? next time think b4 you post something here okay? not being mean but im just making my stance that the severe weather threat is not waining we just have not had enough heating just yet! By 3pm they will ahve a wx watch for our area! so think b4 you post! thank you!

4. Rob May 31, 2011 12:23 PM

I think I will trust the people with weather degrees instead of someone with a home computer and some online tips on how to search for weather!

5. Joshua Richardson (SE RFD) May 31, 2011 12:25 PM

um dude! u better wtach it!

6. Joshua Richardson (SE RFD) May 31, 2011 12:26 PM

dont backsass me when aaron made a mistake and im trying to cover up for it so stop!

7. Joshua Richardson (SE RFD) May 31, 2011 12:28 PM

STILL THERE WAS NO NEED TO SAY THAT! IM GOING TO GO TO ROCK VALLEY FOR 2 YRS AND COD FOR 2-3 YRS SO THAT WILL MAKE UP FOR LOST TIME! PLUS WHEN I GET TO WREX IM GONNA HAVE A FORECAST READY TO GO WHEN I GET TO THE WEATHER CENTER SO ALL I NEED TO DO IS DO THE FORECAST THATS ALL! FOR STARTERS, IM GONNA INTRODUCE THE TORCON INDEX THAT WILL GO RIGHT ALONG WITH THE FORCAST! SO YEAH

8. Joshua Richardson (SE RFD) May 31, 2011 12:29 PM

THAT WAY SEVERE WEATHER WILL BE ESIER TO FORCAST! SO YEAH STILL TODAYS SET UP IS NOT BAD AT ALL GIVING THE FACT THAT THE COLD FRONT IS NOT ENTERED ILL YET AND THAT THE SUN IS PEEK THROUGH THOSE CLDS SO YEAH

9. Justin May 31, 2011 1:13 PM

I think speaking proper English is one of the first basic requirements.

10. jason May 31, 2011 1:16 PM

joshua is a rude mad man

11. Justin May 31, 2011 1:33 PM

Look there genius. None of 13’s viewing counties are in the watch.

12. Nick A May 31, 2011 1:37 PM

Things like this just make my chuckle. If your biggest issue in life is one stations preliminary weather forecast for the day, so you have to get that worked up about it, I envy you.

13. Paula southwest of Stockton May 31, 2011 3:02 PM

Wow man, calm down! I trust 13, because they forecast the blizzard this winter four days ahead of everyone else, and they are (usually) right about the weather.
    So, go home and play/practice somewhere else!

14. Sean May 31, 2011 3:53 PM

Take your drama somewhere else this isn’t the place.

15. Joshua Richardson June 5, 2011 1:28 PM

Okay! Ill chill! But i just dont like it when they use “Chnace of snow or rain”! That kinda makes me mixed up a little! Thats why they invented these words: Scattered or Isolated! so yeah! Thank you for understanding friends!

16. Joshua Richardson June 5, 2011 1:30 PM

I’LL CHACK BACK LATER Y’ALL! HEHE

17. Fake Burberry Scarf November 13, 2011 8:13 PM

いくつかの情報が欲しいし、Google の彼を探していた。最初のページに来たし、の関連性の高い結果を取得していない各ページを訪問した、2 番目を確認し、私のブログを得たと思います。これは何を望むかです !