Reporters in the storm… what do you think?

With live coverage on major networks going almost wall to wall all weekend this begs the question: Do you gain anything from seeing a meteorologist/reporter getting battered by the elements. Granted these folks do take some precautions and set up in the best possible place, there is still a safety issue anytime you are out in a hurricane. Do you get anything from this type of reporting? Comments are encouraged below!

-Aaron

Posted under weather

This post was written by qni_it on August 29, 2011

1. Kim Meier August 29, 2011 11:39 AM

Absolutely nothing gained for me from a reporter out in the storm. If it’s not safe to be out, why in the world are we sending reporters/meteorologists out in it? Just for tv ratings? One lady today on one of the morning shows that had been washed away in her car and luckily survived said she would have stayed home but when the weather man was on tv it didn’t look that bad so she thought it would be okay. I hope that station saw that and feels some sense of responsibility.

Don’t you have to ask yourself if it’s worth your life and limb to report it? What happens when a reporter or crew is washed away or killed providing this kind of coverage?

Also interesting how OSHA overlooks this type of work hazard when they over-regulate and impose hefty fines on almost every other industry there is.

To me seeing this becomes less about the story of the storm then bragging rights of the network being able to say they had a reporter live reporting in “fill in the blank”.

2. Ann August 29, 2011 1:15 PM

Kim Meier hit the nail on the head. It makes me mad when I see reporters saying “The mayor (governor, president) is urging EVERYONE to stay indoors…” while they stand out there and risk their life getting hit by debris (think sheet metal flying at 60 mph). I believe (maybe I’m wrong) that the station managers are responsible, telling them they should do it, as they think only of their ratings, especially if they get their head cut off live on TV! Or impaled by a tree limb! WOW! DID you see that?!!

3. WI Wx Buff August 29, 2011 1:53 PM

Agree with all the comments above. I actually boycott those “live meteorologist” shots in the midst of some weather hazard that everyone else has been evacuated from. I.e., I actively switch the channel or turn off the tv when those “live reports from the middle of H-E-Double-Toothpick” come on just because I do NOT want to encourage networks, cable operators, station managers, meteorologists or advertisers to keep putting this sensationalistic weather reporting “on the air, live.”

4. Polo mom August 29, 2011 2:50 PM

NOT worth a life, not a good idea….I turned the channel when I saw someone out in it reporting…my own little way of saying ‘this is NOT ok’

5. BillNole August 29, 2011 3:13 PM

We’ve had this discussion before, but I’ve long held that it’s completely irresponsible of all those involved, from the reporter to the station that airs it and even to those of us that watch and support it.

It’s only a matter of time before we see one of these guys seriously injured or even killed on live TV, all in the interest of ratings. The sheet metal that was mentioned previously is the one that comes to my mind as well, since that’s a fairly common piece of flying debris during these storms. Imagine that sheet cutting one of these guys in half or decapitating them on live TV and the outcry that will result.

Bad, bad, bad all around. It’s just a matter of time…

6. replica mont blanc pens November 13, 2011 7:49 PM

Je veux quelques informations et était à la recherche sur Google pour lui. J’ai visité chaque page qui est venu sur la première page et n’avez pas obtenu de résultats pertinents, je pense vérifier la seconde et obtenu mon blog. C’est ce que je voulais !