Live severe storm coverage

PUSH REFRESH FOR UPDATED INFORMATION

8:00pm – I’m thankful we escaped the threat of severe thunderstorms today! Not only did it allow most of us some more time to spend with family and friends outside. During our live chat here on the blog during the storm watch, may people were cheering for severe thunderstorms. I’d like to point out this photo from the Rock Co. EMS/Fire Department of a large apartment fire in Edgerton, Wisconsin. I don’t know for certain if this was caused by lightning but because the roof caved in without affecting the exterior walls, that’s my logic.

Before anyone wishes for severe thunderstorms next time, remember the picture. Let’s grow to respect the weather, not cheer for it to get dangerous. If you want that, call up Chicagoland Skydiving Center in Rochelle. (I haven’t heard of any injuries because of this fire.) -ES

7:20pm – The severe weather threat has just about ended for the Rockford metro. Even if storms form, there won’t be enough time for them to develop by the time the activity shifts east. There could be some development in the areas I’ve highlighted on the radar. In addition, we’re still watching the storm northeast of Monroe closely, as well as the cluster of storms headed into Lee Co, IL. -ES

(6:27:57 PM) nwsbot: MKX issues Severe Thunderstorm Warning [wind: 60 MPH, hail: <.75 IN] for Green, Jefferson, Milwaukee, Rock, Walworth, Waukesha [WI] till 7:15 PM CDT

(6:12:56 PM) nwsbot: MKX issues STRONG THUNDERSTORM MOVING INTO JANESVILLE AREA for Dane, Green, Jefferson, Rock, Walworth, Waukesha [WI] till 7:00 PM CDT

6:05pm – New Severe Thunderstorm Watch in effect for Northern Illinois, effective until 11pm. However, our storm threat will end by 8pm. -ES

(5:39:52 PM) nwsbot: MKX issues Severe Thunderstorm Warning [wind: 70 MPH, hail: 1.00 IN] for Dane, Dodge, Jefferson, Rock, Walworth [WI] till 6:30 PM CDT

(5:15:26 PM) nwsbot: DVN issues Severe Thunderstorm Warning [wind: 60 MPH, hail: <1.00 IN] for Scott [IA] and Bureau, Henry, Rock Island, Whiteside [IL] till 6:15 PM CDT

(5:06:29 PM) nwsbot: MKX issues Severe Thunderstorm Warning [wind: 70 MPH, hail: 1.25 IN] for Dane, Green, Rock [WI] till 6:00 PM CDT

4:59pm – A Severe Thunderstorm Watch may be issued for Northern Illinois. Here’s the technical discussion. -ES

4:55pm – If you’re planning that Memorial Day BBQ right now, be mindful of some big thunderstorms possible between now and 8pm. A Severe Thunderstorm Watch remains in effect for Southern Wisconsin with a broken line coming into Northwestern Illinois right now. The main threat will be from large hail and damaging wind. We’ll have a live blog should conditions warrant. -ES

Posted under severe weather

This post was written by qni_it on May 28, 2012

1. Anonymous chatter. May 28, 2012 8:10 PM

We were cheering for severe thunderstorms, yes, however we were NOT cheering for damage and destruction, and most certainly not any casualties. We just wanted to see something interesting, and if a severe thunderstorm is needed for that to happen, we’ll take it.

2. Anonymous chatter. May 28, 2012 8:12 PM

I actually can’t believe that you’d make such a dry and naive statement such as that, Eric. And then you told us to go practically kill ourselves skydiving. I’m very disappointed in you.

3. Justin May 28, 2012 9:16 PM

How can you cheer for severe weather not expecting any damage? I myself love witnessing the power of mother nature. I’ll admit extreme events can be interesting to follow (tornadoes, flash flooding, etc.), but to WANT for those those things to occur at any given location is a different story. There’s plenty of very interesting weather phenomena to witness that doesn’t involve destruction or injury.

Skydiving is a hobby, people do it all the time and complications are very rare. The death rate from severe level winds and tornadoes is extraordinarily higher. There’s really no logical comparison there. No meteorologist would encourage people to go out and chase tornadoes or go outside to gather falling golf ball sized hail. At least not one with any morals. Eric made a very good point and people should follow it. He is a very experienced meteorologist and has witnessed just about everything. Show some respect.

4. Eric Sorensen May 28, 2012 10:15 PM

Anonymous, I apologize if I cut you to the quick. I received e-mails, phone calls, and read quite a few comments on our blog chat for people actually WANTING severe thunderstorms. I don’t know who it was but when we just spent a whole month stressing severe weather safety, I take it to heart when people wish for a severe thunderstorm. I LOVE storms and I HATE severe thunderstorms and tornadoes because I’ve seen what they can do. I wrote $500 to my insurance company last year after the hailstorm.

And I didn’t tell you to kill yourself skydiving. I only suggested it as a means of thrill-seeking.

5. Eric Sorensen May 28, 2012 10:16 PM

Justin: Parachuting from a plane is indeed safer than being in a polygon tornado warning.

6. Eric (not Sorensen) May 28, 2012 10:34 PM

Thank you for this, Eric. It always bothers me when I see people “rooting” for severe storms, for reasons exactly like this. If it’s naive to call people on it, I’m okay with that.